At Affinity Insurance Partners, our many customers often come to us with questions about their home insurance policies. The most common question that Pittsburgh, PA residents ask is, “what will invalidate my home insurance?” This question is vital to understand to ensure you get the best coverage.
How You Can Accidentally Invalidate Your Policy
Invalidating your policy essentially causes it to fail to cover problems that it would pay for in normal circumstances. These actions will force you to pay for various repairs and upgrades to your home rather than getting your policy to help. They include:
- Not locking your property when you leave the home
- Pest problems that you don’t get repaired that then lead to severe damage
- Staying away from home longer than 30 days and experiencing problems during this time
- Getting home improvements that could compromise home safety, such as a doggy door
- Renting out an extra room to a friend or family member
- Trying to exaggerate how much the contents of your home costs you
- A surprise flood risk that you failed to take into account when buying your policy
Anything you do that may threaten the integrity of your home or potentially damage it will invalidate your policy and cause it to fail to cover your repairs. You can also cause this problem if you try to upgrade your home yourself without a license and cause severe damage that requires professionals to fix it. Home insurance will not pay for things you did willingly to your house.
Make Sure Your Policy Stays Valid
If you still feel uncertain about this situation and want someone who can help explain it to you with ease, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at Affinity Insurance Partners to learn more about this topic. Our team serves the Pittsburgh, PA area and will do whatever they can to insure your home.